67’s Dealt First Defeat of OHL Playoffs

It took three and a half playoff rounds, but the Ottawa 67’s finally lost a playoff game in 2019. They lost game three of the OHL Finals tonight to the Guelph Storm 7-2.

Isaac Ratcliffe got Guelph on the board early, just 4:08 in, when he scored to make it 1-0 Storm.

But Ottawa stayed in things, tying it up on a Sasha Chmelevski power play goal at the 5:23 mark of the first.

The Storm broke the 1-1 tie midway through the first when Alexey Toropchenko notched his first of two on the night at 11:41 of the first. Toropchenko was on his way to being named the first star of the night by the media.

Guelph began to pull away 59 seconds into the second period when Nate Schnarr scored what would go down as the game winning goal. That made it 3-1 Storm.

Ottawa clawed back in to the game, making it 3-2 when Graeme Clarke scored 6:30 into the second, but from there, the Storm scored four unanswered to take the game.

First Toropchenko scored his second of the night to make it 4-2 at the 16:31 mark of the third. Then MacKenzie Entwistle found twine 7:49 into the third to make it 5-2. Ratcliffe, en route to being named the game’s second star, scored his second of the night at the 14:45 mark of the third to make it 6-2. Entwistle, named the game’s third star, capped things off by beating Ottawa goalie Cedrick Andree at 16:33 of the third.

Things were pretty even special teams-wise with Ottawa going 1-for-4 on the power play while Guelph was 0-for-4. Andree made 29 saves on 36 Storm shots while Anthony Popovich was equal to 18 of Ottawa’s 20 shots on goal in the winning effort.

Mitchell Hoelscher ended the game with a minus-2 plus/minus, two penalty minutes (a cross-checking penalty at the 16:31 mark of the second period) and the center was 6-for-15 in the faceoff circle.

Game four will come to us from the Sleeman Centre in Guelph, Ontario on Wednesday, May 8 at 7 PM. Ottawa still enjoys a 2-1 series lead.

Meanwhile, in the Q, the Halifax Mooseheads were back at home against the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies for game three of their President Cup Final. This one saw the Huskies take a 2-1 series edge, winning the game 5-2.

The main Devils-related news for this one was the return to the Halifax lineup of Jocktan Chainey from injury. He ended the night with an even plus/minus and two shots on goal.

As for the game itself, Joel Teasdale scored the opener and the final goal of the evening for Rouyn-Noranda, sandwiched by two Justin Bergeron goals and a Tyler Hinam goal.

Teasdale scored his first just 2:55 into the game. At the 7;47 mark of the first, Benoit-Olivier Groulx tied things for Halifax.

But the Huskies would take a 3-1 lead before the first period was out. Bergeron scored at the 10:35 mark (shorthanded while Jakub Lauko was off for slashing) and again at the 14:12 mark for Rouyn-Noranda.

Bergeron was named the game’s first star of the night. Rafael Harvey-Pinard of the Huskies, with a pair of helpers, was the second star and Groulx of the Mooseheads was the third star.

The second period saw Samuel Asselin keep Halifax going with a goal 7:37 into the second frame on the power play. However, Hinam scored his goal at 16:03 to make it 4-2 Huskies.

Teasdale scored his second of the night with less than a minute to play into an empty net at the 19:17 mark of the third. Halifax had pulled goalie Alexis Gravel for the man advantage. That goal from Teasdale gave us our final of 5-2.

Goaltender Samuel Harvey made 31 saves on 33 shots against for Rouyn-Noranda. Gravel stopped 30 of 34 shots against in taking the loss. The Huskies were 0-for-2 on the power play, but did have the shorty while Halifax was 1-for-5.

Game four of this series will take place tomorrow, Tuesday, May 7 at 8 PM local time, 7 PM ET. That game is from Scotiabank Centre in Halifax.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *